Just slightly larger than the average housecat, Vulpes lagopus—the Arctic fox—is a silent and prolific hunter. The pelt of the Arctic fox is unmatched for warmth, sustaining it at temperatures below -50° Celsius. Its fur is brown, grey-brown, blue-grey, or dark blue-grey in the warmer months. In the long Arctic winter, most turn pure white, although some populations show lighter blue-grey through the winter phase. The fox’s thick fur covers its small rounded ears and even the pads of its feet, for optimum warmth.
Always curious, always clever, the Arctic fox in an avant-garde design. Order your coin today!
• NEW! First issue in the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting new Untamed Canada series featuring a bold artistic direction.
• Your coin showcases five different coin finishes each with a separate degree of luster, exceptional engraving techniques and woodblock-inspired art.
• A dramatic approach to coin design inspired by the untamed nature of the Arctic fox rendered in 99.99% fine silver in a rare 40-millimetre diameter, to showcase the art and artistry of the coin design.
• Your coin is rendered in fine silver (99.99% pure) and is GST/HST exempt.
• Limited mintage of 8,500 worldwide.
Designed by Canadian artist Tivadar Bote, your coin features a unique stylized image, inspired by woodblock design, of an Arctic fox set against symbolic elements of its Canadian habitat. The fox sits serenely in the foreground of the image, looking toward the left side of the field, its thick fur, fluffy tail, small ears, and dog-like facial features beautifully rendered in stylized detail. In the background, motifs of circles, droplets, and wavy rays rise from the image of a circular sunburst positioned directly behind the fox. The circles and droplets symbolize the snow and light that are fundamental elements in the world of the Arctic fox. The wavy rays allude to the warmth and brilliance of the sun, even in the Arctic landscape. The circularity of these elements echoes the circular field of the coin and hints at the cyclical nature of the Arctic fox’s lifecycle. The outer frame is engraved with the species’ Latin name, “Vulpes lagopus,” the word “CANADA,” the date “2013,” and the face value of “20 DOLLARS.”
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell case lined with black flock and protected by a black beauty box.
Order your coin today!